Can you imagine being among the 70% of the population of Timor Leste who live in rural areas? You would face significant inequality with those in the capital Dili. In fact you, your family and your community would face urgent medical and health issues that include:
- Rheumatic heart disease (one of the highest rates in the world —1 in 20 children impacted)
- Tuberculosis (51% of the nation has latent TB)
- HIV/AIDs (there was a 15% increase in cases last year)
- Child malnutrition and stunted growth (affects 58% of children
- and can cause problems with cognitive development and chronic disease later in life)
- Lack of dental care (there are only seven dentists in this nation…one for every 180,000 people!)
- High mortality rate during childbirth
For the poorer people living outside the capital, these issues impact their lives each and every day. Another sad reality is that many health clinics in the rural areas have been unable to procure essential medicines and equipment. Most are small, ill-equipped and have no experienced doctors. Some don’t even have the equipment required to do something as simple as a blood transfusion.
Just imagine the huge, positive impact teams of well-equipped health professionals could make! The good news is that the Timorese Government strongly supports bringing health services to remote areas. The challenge, on the other hand, is getting local and international non-government organisations (NGOs), Government bodies and church teams out to where most people live so they can do their work!
THIS IS WHERE MAF COMES IN!
MAF has two aircraft operating in the country. By providing safe and reliable flights for our partners we help bring health workers, educators, plastic surgeons, doctors and teams trained to work with the disabled to those in desperate need.
WE BELIEVE THAT “HAMUTUK” (“TOGETHER” IN THE LOCAL LANGUAGE) WE CAN MAKE A SIGNIFICANT AND LASTING DIFFERENCE IN TIMOR LESTE!
Today we have the power to prevent and treat many of the diseases that still cause death and disability. Together we have the opportunity to change the health of a nation! We have been challenged to raise $32,000 to enable MAF’s health and medical flights to continue.
Yet without the MAF flights, little of this work would be possible!
Join us and be a vital part of raising $32,000 by making a gift of $55, $94 or even $210 today!